Tuesday, May 15, 2012

EU attacks Pirates

There has been a lot of love given to Pirates over the last few years as everyone finds the life Jack Sparrow so fun and interesting to watch on the big screen. Out here in the cruising world it isn't such a fun topic. Many of us would like to continue on to the Med but the Somalian pirates stand in our way. If you asked us when we were leaving Panama what we were planning to do we would have told you that we were going through the Red Sea. Not anymore. The piracy issues have gotten out of control and it isn't safe for even the little guys (especially US flagged vessels) to make the run any longer. Mark and I are still weighing our options as to how we will get there (go south or ship the boat) but many of our friends have simply decided that when the time comes they will go around South Africa and then rather than make the right hand turn into the Med from the west they will simply go home having not fully fulfilled there dreams. It is sad that with all the time and energy put into this dream many will go home feeling like they didn't quite make it.

So when Mark sent me a link to this article I have to admit that it put a smile on my face. I hope this really is the beginning of the end for these pirates.


2 comments:

  1. I'd been planning on posting this news release from the (U.S.) Navy on my own blog/FB page just because I love the title: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=67155

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaye. I'll have to add that as well. Great link.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...